Monday, April 21, 2008

THE PRESENT MOMENT

This is the time of year when artists are getting their acceptance or rejection notices from art shows around the country. We offer up our money and our ego to be juried by our peers. We are either accepted or not based solely on the taste of a handful of strangers and on the quality of our images...not necessarily our work. When we are accepted we wonder how on earth we will get it all done ...meet the deadlines...find a balance...have a life...and get the grass mowed. When we are rejected we walk around repeating the rejection mantra...it's not personal...it's not personal.

I have three shows lined up for August and I find it interesting how NOT in the present moment I am. My eye is already on the goal...focused on the golden carrot right in front of my nose. I'm thinking about August...counting the days left between now and August...if I get up an hour earlier how many work days would I gain between now and August. I have so looked forward to spring and summer and now I find myself overlooking those glorious months and focusing on August.

So I'm writing this post as a reminder to myself to breathe deep and often...to notice how the light is changing...to take a few moments to watch the chickadee carry nesting material into the birdhouse just outside my window...to enjoy the company of dear friends when the opportunity is there...to soak up a little sun and collect some vitamin d...to trust that the work will get done...and to find contentment in the present moment.

No comments: