Wednesday, December 8, 2010

SEEKING POWER


Remember that you can click on the image to see a larger version.

I am participating in a group show at Bainbridge Arts and Crafts called "PLAY OF LIGHT." It runs December 3rd through January 3rd. The opening, this past Friday night, was a lot of fun and well attended. It's a great time to see friends, new art work and fellow artists.

My box for this show is called SEEKING POWER. For over 2 years I've wanted to make this piece and have drawn it repeatedly in my sketchbook. It measures 16 inches wide by 18 inches tall by 1.75 inches deep. It is one of a limited edition of 5 and is made of photo etched brass, nickel silver, copper, cherry, mica and a small 12V battery with an LED bulb.

The brass background is one of the larger pieces of metal I have ever etched. It took a while to get all the right sized containers and tanks to do the etching. I have recently switched from etching with acid to using a salt water etching technique that incorporates a car battery charger with a strong solution of salt water. Soon, I will publish a new post having to do with this technique.

I really like this background....an image of a roof top with all kinds of weather related gadgets. The man, in his turn of the century three piece power suit, is equipped with a lot of attitude and a 3-d copper helmet with a lightning rod attached to the top. I left fire scale on the copper helmet and lightning rod showing that this is not the first time that he has participated in this kind of activity. He is more than ready for the surge of power that will come to him with the first lightning strike...which can be seen by gently pulling the chain at the bottom of the box. Some people will do anything to seek and obtain power.

No comments: