Monday, April 2, 2012

SCHMOOZING WITH THE JEWELERS

Bainbridge Arts and Crafts has put together a unique event. On Friday, April 6th, I will be one of six jewelers who will be at the BAC gallery from noon until after FIRST FRIDAY'S ART WALK....about 8pm. We, the jewelers, will be talking about our newest work and, in some cases, demonstrating. It is a great opportunity for the public to be able to ask questions and see the different processes involved for each jeweler. On both Saturday and Sunday their will be 6 different jewelry artists. Participating jewelers include...Joanna Beachy, Kristin Carman, Annie Huntley, Poppy Knopf, Carolynn Lancaster, Julia Lowther, Barbe Martin, Michele McCarter, Shane Miller (that's me), Shirley Moss, James Powell, Glynn Schultz, Lisa Ronay and Passiko True.

YOU CAN CLICK ON THIS IMAGE TO SEE A LARGER VERSION.

Here is my artist statement for this jewelry exhibition.
"I am drawn to texture and pattern...whether that be found in the collective round holes of a wasp nest...the steel grid on a man hole cover...the white dots against black on a guinea feather...or the designs found inside a security envelope. Through the process of photo etching I am able to translate these patterns and many others on to sterling silver.

The sterling silver beads in this exhibition are new for me. They began as bits and pieces of etched silver that I had saved from other projects. Most of these 'scrap' pieces were too small to use in any of my typical jewelry designs. What started as bits of metal...housed in a yogurt container and destined for a trip to the refinery...became small silver nuggets in the form of a bead... small enough to nest in one's palm...coin like...my new currency."

No comments: