Wednesday, December 12, 2007

EXPLORING THE HEAVENS


This is a group of sculptures that were installed in a Bellevue park several years ago. Along with several other artists, I was asked to have sculpture on display for a year. At the end of that year I moved this collection to my own yard. They stand on a small grassy area near the bend of my quiet road. I often hear traffic slow down to have a look...or are they looking at the deer who use my property as their personal thoroughfare.


You will recognize the bears (Ursa Major and Ursa Minor) from my last post. I think that soon they will find their way into my jewelry or narrative boxes.



CHARTING THE STARS depicts a woman gazing through a starry flounder...using it as a map of sorts. Is she charting her future or her vacation via her personal flying ship??


MISSING HALE-BOPP is in reference to THE GREAT COMET OF 1997. It was probably the most widely observed comet of the twentieth century, and one of the brightest seen for decades. It was visible to the naked eye for a record 18 months, twice as long as the previous record holder, the GREAT COMET OF 1811. Like this sculpture, I miss searching for it in the night sky.


HEAVEN'S SPIRE is a triangular column with a mica covered weather vane on top. When the sun hits mica, it dances with light.

No comments: