Thursday, January 10, 2008

TIME MANAGEMENT

SUCCESS IS THE SUM OF SMALL EFFORTS, REPEATED DAY IN AND DAY OUT. -Robert Collier

Recently my art group discussed the subject of time management. I think most people have issues with time management in one form or another but I think for artists, it can be a real struggle. We are often self employed so we have to be good self starters. We have to wear so many hats...designer, craftsman, photographer, accountant, marketing genius, errand girl, secretary, research developer and computer wizard. It is so easy to veer off the intention for the day and at the end of the day realize that nothing much got accomplished. Throw in hauling some firewood or a quick run to the grocery store so you can have crackers with your soup and a perfectly good work day can be nibbled to death.

My particular challenge is that I tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of person. I like to have a goal...work really really hard to achieve that goal...and then slack. After the slack, it takes a lot to get the momentum moving again. I have committed to my art group to try the slow but steady approach for the next month. I am actually going to keep a record... clock in and out so I can make sure I get my work hours in and be accountable to the group. We have each made a commitment to work on the areas where we are lacking. I'll let you know in a month if I have turned my work habits around...in the meantime...have a productive day!!!

No comments: